Big camera or very, very small camera.
3 years ago this wouldn't even been a consideration - the advance of imaging, color rendering, and sensor sizes is moving so quickly I can't even give a decent answer when asked, "Hey, what camera should I buy" -- I literally have 3 models I'm keeping up on at any given time. The competition, an performance value is that close. Sometimes I find myself wanting to upgrade to a different model after only 6 months using the what is in hand.
Speaking of brands and models -- I have no loyalty - only economic loyalty and that stems from lenses on the big stuff.
I'm invested in Nikon with the D3s - and you know what - I chose wisely - as I love the color and contrast the Nikon system produces. I wouldn't have it any other way. And -- the only competition at that level is Nikon itself and Canon.
Everything else is the flavor of the day / week / month. And I guess I should clarify -- that "everything else" is anything but a hulking pro body.
Here's what I'm getting at - I was in Paris last week - and I took the Nikon P330 point and shoot. I've tried to anticipate the "what" of the trip - and it worked out well - that 90% of the time the P330 was better than expected - and the other 10% of carrying the NEX, it became evident the NEX was becoming long in the tooth.
The P330 is small and crazy convenient to pocket. I could whip it out - select either "Green" for a quick shot - or I could go "A" and give the dial a spin for the aperture, get a focus point and go - or go User setting where I have it set up as Monochrome. As a B/W shooter i love it - totally love it. Blacks are really rich - everything pops - and I have the contrast + from normal. And the most important part of all of this -- and I keep combing back to this one point - between the P330 and NEX; The P330 is wicked sharp. And i can get sharp just about all the time. The NEX - well - that's been a struggle for me. And now that I have something to compare it too - my frustrations are even more real.
The NEX has become love/hate -- when it all comes together the system can be a bit magical - but when sharpness / ISO / or focus don't become a Trinity - then the images are DTM. Dynamic range seems to be endless - I can pull detail for what seems forever. Shutter speeds need to be twice focal length - although Aperture Priority pegs the min. at 1/60 so that's a mode which is impossible to maintain. Focus "pogos" once in a while, ok, most of the time - single point is difficult to lock. And -- the images just don't have a good "look" without much manipulation. If focus isn't tack sharp - then the images is DTM.
I'm going to move on - selling the NEX and I just ordered the Nikon 1 V1. If focusing performance is what everyone says it is, I'll be really happy - and Nikon's color rendering will be a nice change from the Sony - with the lack of resolution of course. I will miss that.